Exeter School has a very wide range of academic subjects available for study at sixth form, with small class sizes and expert careers and higher education advice through the Futures Programme. For pupils joining us at 16+ we offer a special morning prior to the start of term in September. Here new pupils have another chance to meet the sixth form team and other key members of staff. In September all Lower Sixth pupils are invited to a social evening, usually of bowling and pizza.
All candidates seeking entry to the sixth form will be required to achieve a minimum of three GCSE passes at grade 7 and three GCSE passes at grade 6, to include English and maths (or equivalent qualifications from the pupil’s own country) and provide a satisfactory report and reference from their present school.
To study certain subjects, candidates will need to have achieved a grade 7 in that subject (or related discipline) at GCSE. Please see the A Level brochure or course information on the website for details of the individual subject requirements.
The first sixth form interview day will be held on Saturday 2 December 2023. Further dates will be released throughout the year.
The Sixth Form assessments take the form of:
• Interviews with the heads of departments of the four subjects the candidate wishes to study at A Level. These are designed to discover a candidate’s motivation, future potential, and existing subject knowledge.
• An interview with the Head and Head of Sixth Form.
• Evaluation of a reference provided by the candidate’s present school.
• An assessment of extra-curricular commitments and skills already possessed by the candidate in such areas as the arts, music, outdoor activities, and sport.
• A computer-based cognitive abilities (CAT4) test.
Please bring examples of your coursework to the interview where you have studied the subject at GCSE.